Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Barbecue: Michelle, Michelle

“Charlotte is a city marked by its southern charm, warm hospitality, and an 'up by the bootstraps' mentality ... And of course, great barbecue,” said the First Lady in announcing the Democratic National Convention's coming to town.

Some will quickly scoff, particularly the Lexington and Shelby and Greensboro contingents, whose members believe there's no 'cue in Charlotte worth entertaining.

But I'd say there's some relatively good stuff, and certainly good enough to educate folks who still labor under the misconception that barbecue can ever be anything other than pork. Spoon's, Bubba's, Mac's, Old Hickory House. Maybe the Rockstore if you're not making "Charlotte" strictly Charlotte.

Go ahead: Weigh in. Must the delegates rent cars immediately, or can they get a fix in Charlotte that wouldn't embarrass the Carolina barbecue brand? And, from a 30,000-feet perspective, does her mentioning this immediately bode well or ill for the nation's view of our city's cuisine?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stick with Old Hickory House, the rest is pretty much garbage in my book (especially Spoon's).

Anonymous said...

Don't forget BBQ King. The best in town.

Anonymous said...

^ you have it backwards. old hickory house is inedible. Spoons is consistently the best eastern style in town.

Anonymous said...

Spoons is solid... when is Noble going to open his joint?

Anonymous said...

Spoons is solid. When is Noble going to open his joint?

Anonymous said...

Old Hickory is definitely my fav in Charlotte. Have not been impressed with Spoon's and Mac's is just a faux biker bar for yuppies. Still need to try McKoy's.

Anonymous said...

Outlaw BBQ is amazing... They have carry-out in downtown Matthews and a restaurant in Monroe. I found them at one of the Blues,Brews, BBQ street festivals. Award winners!

Anonymous said...

McKoy's is awesome. Very friendly management and delicious food. I have never tried the other places mentioned...usually if I want BBQ my husband smokes it himself or we get it from family in Lexington. While I am planning to escape the city during the convention, I think it bodes well for Charlotte. Charlotte, in my opinion, has some of the best food given its relatively small size. Local specialties and independent restaurants offer plenty of options and I think people traveling here will be pleasantly surprised!

George Bohmfalk said...

I was very disappointed w/ Hickory House on first visit - thought the mushy, finely-chopped pork was like dog food. Next time waitress suggested I get it "coarse chopped," which approximated pulled pork. It was delicious. I've had the same experience in Lexington places. Evidently lots of folks love this nearly pureed pork.